National Parks need masks ‘no matter vaccination condition’
Add COVID-19 masks to your camping equipment when going to Yellowstone, Yosemite and also past.
The National Park Service is calling for masks for jampacked outside rooms and structures “despite inoculation condition or neighborhood transmission levels.”
In a declaration issued Monday, Shawn Benge, deputy supervisor of the park solution, said: “Visitors to national parks are coming from places throughout the nation, otherwise throughout the world. As a result of this, and also identifying that most of the United States is presently in considerable or high transmission groups, we are applying a service-wide mask demand to ensure our staff and visitors’ safety.”
The National Park Service (NPS) is following guidance from the White Residence, Centers for Illness Control as well as Avoidance (CDC), as well as state and local public health and wellness authorities, as we start to boost entertainment gain access to and also services. The NPS is functioning servicewide with federal, state, as well as local public wellness authorities to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and also making use of a phased strategy to enhance accessibility on a park-by-park basis.
Visit our park compendium for more information.
- NOTE: Rock Creek Park manages 99 different pieces of land, so it isn’t possible to list all open areas separately. Where it is possible to adhere to the latest federal, state, and local health guidance, outdoor spaces, including trails, will remain accessible to the public.
- Park Bathrooms in the following locations –
- Montrose Park
- Meridian Hill Park (16th Street NW & Euclid Street NW) – bathrooms close at 8:00 p.m. daily
- Picnic Grove 24 (across the street by playground next to the Rock Creek Park Tennis Center at 1610 Kennedy Street, NW, Washington, DC)
- Picnic Groves 6 (can drive or hike to it within 1/2 – 3/4 of a mile from the Nature Center – Military Road / Joyce Road & Beach Drive)
- Peirce Barn (next to Peirce Mill, 2401 Tilden Street NW, Washington, DC)
- Exercise facilities, 16th Street and Colorado Avenue NW
- Exercise facilities, Shoreham Drive and Cathedral Avenue NW
- All playgrounds (Montrose Park, Woodley Park, Grant Circle NW, Picnic Grove 24, Fort Bayard)
- Tennis Courts located at the following locations: Rock Creek Park Tennis Center, Montrose Park, Francis Field (23rd Street NW & N Street NW)
- Basketball courts, 23rd and N Street NW
- Old Stone House, 3051 M Street NW–Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday 11:00 a.m- 7:00 p.m.
- Peirce Mill and Barn- 2401 Tilden Street NW
The following facilities in the park are open but have restrictions.
- Picnic Areas – Picnic Grove #1, Picnic Grove #6, Picnic Grove #7, Picnic Grove #8, Picnic Grove #9, Picnic Grove #10, Picnic Grove #13 and Picnic Grove #24 are limited to a maximum capacity of 75 people. All other picnic groves in Rock Creek Park and in the Civil War Defenses of Washington (Fort Slocum, Galloway Street NE east of South Dakota Avenue NE) are limited to a maximum of 25 people.
- Rock Creek Park Horse Center – By reservation only (trail rides, private instruction, and small classes up to 10 people at a time with reservations). No camps available at this time. Info: https://rockcreekhorsecenter.com/
- Thompson Boat Center – By reservation only (rentals, private slip holders, instruction up to 10 people per hour). Upstairs areas such as locker rooms and gymnasium closed at this time. Info: https://boatingindc.com/boathouses/thompson-boat-center/
- Rock Creek Park Tennis Center – By reservation only (court rentals, private lessons). Clinics and classes by reservation only will open on June 8 for up to 6 participants. No camps available at this time. Info: https://rockcreektennis.com/
- Rock Creek Park Golf Course – By reservation only (9-hole golf course, practice area, instruction up to 10 people). Clubhouse and camps closed at this time. Info: https://www.playdcgolf.com/Rock-Creek
- Key Bridge Boathouse – By reservation only (rentals, private slip holders, instruction up to 10 people per hour). Info: https://boatingindc.com/boathouses/key-bridge-boathouse/
- Special Events – Special events in Meridian Hill Park, Georgetown Waterfront Park, Fort Reno Park, and Montrose Park require park permits.
- Plan Like a Park Ranger- Check out these ten tips to help plan the best trip to Rock Creek Park
- Bring a map – Download or take a photo of a park map. You may not have a cell signal when you get to the park.
- Park in a designated parking area only–not on the grass and not in the street. Violators may be ticketed or towed.
- Rock Creek Park Nature Center – 5200 Glover Road NW, Washington, DC – Parking lot is open–approximately 120 parking spots available. Nature center is closed. Excellent access to park trails.
- Picnic Grove 13 – no address, see map – This parking lot is located on Glover Road / Ridge Road (depending upon your GPS) at the closest picnic grove with a large shelter near the Nature Center. Approximately 60 parking spots are available here.
- Rock Creek Park Tennis Center / Picnic Grove 24 / Carter Barron Amphitheatre – 1610 Kennedy St NW, Washington, DC 20011 or the big lot immediately adjacent to 4850 Colorado Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20011 – This is an extremely large parking lot with over 250 parking spaces. Walk down Morrow Road, which is temporarily closed to vehicular traffic at this time. Be careful–this is a very steep road–walk with any recreational equipment with wheels instead of riding down the hill. Exercise on this road is not recommended for visitors with heart conditions, bad knees, difficulty breathing, or other serious medical conditions affected or exacerbated by traveling on steep inclines.
- Beach Drive NW & Military Road, NW @ Parking Lots 6-10 – Share the road with recreationists as you drive very slowly to access over 200 parking spaces.
- Paved Pull-out Spaces – Various small paved pull-outs spots for 1-10 cars may be open for parking in various locations in Rock Creek Park. Park in designated areas only–on pavement, not on the grass. Cars parked outside of designated paved parking areas may be ticketed or towed.
- Street Parking: Some park sites have very limited to no parking. In this case, park on city streets following all posted and citywide laws and regulations.
- NOTE: Parking areas may close at any time without notice.
Learn how to Recreate Responsibly